City are looking for a new midfielder after Rodri joined Barcelona, and manager Enzo Maresca is understood to be keen on bringing Fernandez to Manchester. Maresca worked with the 25-year-old for 18 months at Chelsea before leaving the club in January.
Fernandez has previously been linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge, including reports of interest from Real Madrid. His future has now come under further scrutiny after he was booed by Chelsea supporters during Saturday’s friendly win over Real Sociedad.
Chelsea are reportedly willing to listen to offers for Fernandez and value him at around 120 million pounds.
Asked if Fernandez had told him that he wanted to stay, Alonso avoided giving a direct answer.
“Enzo is a Chelsea player, a top, top player. He’s training really well, he started 10 days ago with the team, very integrated,” Alonso said.
“We are happy with him, and he is getting ready for Monday. He’s training really well, and I see him with a good attitude. That’s what we want.
“He’s trying his best to prepare for the Premier League kick-off.”
Fernandez joined Chelsea from Benfica for a club-record 106.8 million pounds in 2023 and remains an important part of Alonso’s plans ahead of his first Premier League campaign.
Chelsea begin their season with a west London derby against Fulham on Monday, with Alonso facing former Liverpool, Real Madrid and Spain team-mate Alvaro Arbeloa.
Alonso insisted their friendship would be put aside once the match begins.
“Of course you can have a relationship, but once you’re on the pitch, no friends, no past,” he said.
“It’s just the 90 minutes that we are playing, fighting for each club.”
Chelsea are looking to recover from a disappointing campaign in which they finished 10th in the Premier League. Alonso is also aiming to rebuild his reputation after his short spell in charge of Real Madrid ended in January.
The former Bayer Leverkusen boss believes his squad is ready for the new season.
“We feel ready. We’ve prepared the whole pre-season, six weeks with some players from the first day, others coming later,” Alonso said.
“The desire, the hunger, the ambition to play the Premier League is already in the building, in each training. Looking forward to it.”
Alonso has also been pleased with Chelsea’s summer recruitment, highlighting the experience and quality added to his squad.
“I’m very happy. I think we have made many right choices,” he said.
“Very good balance in terms of quality, personality, maturity, different stages of their career, good momentum. We are in a good position, I would say.”
Chelsea have a squad of more than 40 players, with Liam Delap, Nicolas Jackson and Mykhailo Mudryk among those reportedly training separately as they remain linked with moves elsewhere.
Alonso, however, believes the situation is being handled effectively.
“We manage well, with good group dynamics; whenever we need, we have different groups, and it’s not been an issue at the moment,” he said.